Sydney was away for the weekend visiting Aunt Linda in Havre de Grace Maryland. Sophia had my full attention all weekend long (unfortunately that does not happen often). On Saturday morning, we went to the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. On our way home, we stopped off at the King of Prussia mall to purchase a few new winter outfits (will blog the "Saturday" RTM excursion sometime soon).
Today, after DRAGGING myself out of bed from a late night (2am!!) watching the PHILLIES, Sophia and I made sticky buns for breakfast. I saw the recipe on "Seasons of my heart". This is the EASY abbreviated version... mine are not as perfect looking (this is why I mentioned below to be sure to repair the "crescent seams" which I DID NOT DO... the slits started to open when I was rolling it up). However, I will say that they did taste amazing... extremely gooey!!!
I had a great little helper. She never waned, not one second.
A short video below that Bob took, the morning after a Philly World Series Game 3 Win, when Sophia and I were making HOT BUNS....
Apple-Pecan Sticky Buns (makes 9)
2 large (or 3 small/medium) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 thick
1¼ C plus 1 TBSP packed light brown sugar
6 TBSP of butter, softened
1 pack of Pillsbury Crescent rolls
1 C chopped pecans
2 TBSP honey
¼ tsp salt
½ C heavy cream
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Prepare oven @ 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Place the peeled apple slices, 1 TBSP brown sugar and 1 TBSP butter on a bowl and cook on the stove until the apples are soft. Let the apples cool.
3. In a small bowl, mix ½ cup brown sugar, the pecans and cinnamon.
4. Unroll the crescent roll and “repair” the seams so its one big rectangle with no visible dotted seams.
5. Sprinkle the brown sugar pecan mixture on top and then cover evenly with the roasted apple mixture.
6. Roll up the dough (“jelly roll-style”) and cut crosswise into 9 slices; place the round slices in a prepared baking pan.
7. Cut up 2 TBSP butter and place a dot on the center of each round bun
8. Bake until golden, 35-40 minutes..
9. While the buns are baking in the oven, in a saucepan, bring the remaining 4 TBSP butter, ¾ cups of brown sugar, ½ cup of cream, ½ tsp salt and the 2 TBSP of honey to a boil, stirring. Whisk until reduced, about 2 minutes. Let cool slightly. Drizzle the warm sauce over the warm buns.
Sophia chopping pecans
turning on oven light to check on the sticky buns...
STICKY SWEET PERFECTION...
Daddy LOVED the sticky buns.
If you are a Pecan Pie AND Apple Pie lover.... you will Love these Apple-Pecan Sticky Buns too!
Besides who doesn't like butter, brown sugar and heavy cream???